Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Chuseok at LCI


My whole morning class can fit under my Hanbok! haha :)







Steph and June!














Peach and me!













Tia and I in our Hanboks




Peachy Pie in her Hanbok! So adorable!




In the middle of September there is a major harvest festival (similar to our Thanksgiving, I don’t think they eat turkey though!) called Chuseok! It’s a three day celebration where families get together, eat a lot of food and pay respects to their ancestors. I was excited because we got a 4 day vacation from work!

LCI had an event held for our morning classes in honor of Chuseok. All of the students as well as us foreign teachers had to wear a traditonal ‘hanbok’.


Hanbok: “It is often characterized by vibrant colors and simple lines without pockets. Although the term literally means "Korean clothing", hanbok today often refers specifically to hanbok of Joseon Dynasty and is worn as semi-formal or formal wear during traditional festivals and celebrations. Modern hanbok does not exactly follow the actual style as worn in Joseon dynasty since it went through some major changes during the 20th century for practical reasons”

I wore one of my students mothers hanboks. They are beautiful and I felt as though I was playing dress up for a movie like Mulan or something. The day was hot and since we were outside a majority of the time the hanboks got quite uncomforable! The day was filled with games for the students, making rice cakes for the parents as well as thank you cards! My morning class looked so adorable, I got quite the kick out of seeing them all dressed up!

No comments:

Post a Comment